6 Foods for Healthier Skin
Been wondering what to eat to keep your skin healthy and glowing? Certain foods contain ingredients that keep skin supple and smooth and help to fight the effects of aging.
We have rounded up 6 foods that are good for you, fantastic for your skin, and easy to incorporate into your everyday diet!
- Dark Chocolate – Made from the seed of a cocoa tree, dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to nourish the skin. According to a Huffington Post article, dark chocolate contains iron, calcium and vitamins A, B1, C, D and E which help to hydrate skin and improve circulation. As if we needed another excuse to have more chocolate!
- Green Tea – According to NCBI study, green tea is an abundant source of polyphenols – these show significant antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and chemopreventive effects in protecting the skin from UV damage.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal contains 18 different amino acids which are vital to healthy skin maintenance. As indicated by this Livestrong article, oatmeal also has hypoallergenic properties which can help alleviate rashes and allergic reactions, including sunburn and other skin damage.
- Soy – The soy bean is high in protein content and contains isoflavones – a plant compound that contains estrogen. A Livestrong article touts that soy is “purported to diminish wrinkles, reverse sun damage, and even tighten skin sagging.”
- Walnuts – As revealed by Self Magazine, walnuts contain Omega-3s which strengthen skin cells and lock in moisture and nutrients to keep skin glowing. Additionally, healthy fats in walnuts may reduce skin inflammation and help protect skin from harmful UV rays.
- Water – DRINK MORE WATER! Drinking a minimum of 8 glasses per day will help rid your body and skin of toxins (according to UW Health).